In the beginning ...

A couple of weeks ago, Inko approached myself with the idea of working on a project jointly. I had watched his game evolve - Pers and he had watched mine - SpaceOreMiner. We had sent hints and tips to each other during this time about each others games. Finding him a froody fellow, I decided to accept the offer of a joint project. After many, many emails back and forth between us, a rough idea and concept of a game we both would enjoy working evolved.

With the success of blogging providing both motivation and a great way of getting feedback from players - Inko set up this blog for both of us to talk about the game development. Yesterday, I set up a private wiki for both of us. Rather than going down the GDD path, we thought it would be an interesting experiment to try and document the development inside a wiki. The added bonus of this dynamic environment is that certain sections, Lore, for example, can be pulled out of the wiki and placed in a public one when time comes for a release.

I decided mediawiki was the wiki of choice. Primarily through laziness however, as my host has a one click install option for it :) A quick google found an old blog post about setting a mediawiki to be private. It might be old, but it worked a treat :)

Now, that was a lot of text with no juicy info about the game. Well, Project: CARDS is a working title, but is growing on me the more I see it. As stated in Inko's first post, it is a multiplayer turn-based tactical card war game on a procedurally generated terrain of uber coolness. My primary mandate at the moment is implementing server side support. As my work with SpaceOreMiner taught me, I love making unity ( the platform we are developing on ) talk to PHP and giant databases.

Well, that is it for my first post :)


No comments:

Post a Comment